Hey, what’s up, what’s up, what’s up?!? Spring is the perfect time for transitions and cleaning out your closet! Time to organized, girl so check out below for how to to organize your closet.
1. Light it up
- This may sound like a funny one but in order to organize what’s in your closet, you need to be able to see what’s in there!
- You don’t have to break the bank to light up your closet. There are lots of lighting options to consider.
- Sort your clothes, shoes and accessories into four categories:
- Donate to Charity (get that tax deduction!)
- Give away to friends or fam (make someone’s day!)
- Sell (get some coins)
- Keep (with a caveat though)
- If you haven’t worn it in over a year, you better throw it in one of the other piles we talked about:-) lol
PIN me for later
3. Get a second opinion
- If you’re not sure about some the items in your keep pile, call a friend!
- Facetime, Skype or zoom a friend and get a second opinion.
- Make sure it’s a friend who will keep it real with you.
4. Opt for coordinated hangers
- Believe it or not, every little inch you can save in your closet counts so lose those bulky hangers!
- Find nice, slim hangers like the ones below so you can fit more in.
- Use multi-purpose hooks like the ones below to hang skirts, pants, jeans.
5. Cluster for easy spotting
- Think about hanging or folding based on clusters such as: skirts, tops, pants of the same or similar colors and patterns together.
- Another clustering option is outfit pairings…So you could take a blazer that goes with a particular skirt, dress, shirt, pair of jeans and pants and that’s one cluster.
- I find the pairings option more involved so for me, I like the color cluster better.
6. Get creative with storage ideas
- Shoe racks aren’t your only option for storing shoes. Try:
- Book shelves
- Clear storage boxes with covers
- For jewelry, watches and sunglasses, don’t knock items you may find in the kitchen section at Target, Amazon or Home Goods. Think:
- Cupcake stands
- Kitchen paper towel stands for bracelets
- Pretty serving trays or decorative plates
- Use pretty covered boxes to store clothing/items you don’t need frequently.
- Baskets also come in handy for storing odds and ends or items like sunglasses, bags, gloves and hats.
- Clear acrylic file folders or even gold ones can be a cool way to store your clutches.
7. Try dividers for folded clothes
- If you’re like me and fold clothes crookedly, you should explore clothes dividers. These will also help you maximize your space by folding further up, if that makes sense.
- Also, one of the things that irks me about closets is how homes/apartments waste so much space by just having the regular ole plastic Rubbermaid shelves.
- To create more hanging space, you can actually use a twofer hanging solution like the one below from Amazon. This will allow you to make the most of the usually wasted space below the typical white shelving in most closets.
- Shelf dividers are also a great way to maximize the space you have.
8. Maximize shoe storage
- When arranging shoes, having one foot facing out and the other facing inward actually helps you fit more shoes on a shelf.
- I also like organizing shoes by color so it’s easy to spot them.
- For boots, invest in boot organizers. If the boots are short boots or booties that you don’t wear all the time, clear storage boxes work great!
9. Bring your space to life
- Touches like adding faux florals, pictures [photographs, canvas prints, paintings], magazines, jewelry boxes, books, decorative trays, all help bring your closet space to life.
10. Use a mirror to create more space
- Mirrors are great to help create an illusion of more space. If you don’t have enough wall space for a floor length mirror, invest in a nice, sturdy, over the door mirror that you can secure to the door.
- To further optimize your space, you can also opt for a mirror with an armoire so you can also keep some of your jewelry in the armoire.
PIN me for later
Questions about organizing your closet? Email me: email@example.com. As always, thanks so much for dropping by. Stay safe and fabulous. Sending lots of hugs your way.