Happy Friday!!! We made it!!! Yeah! And for a lot of us in the US, it’s Memorial Day weekend so I’m looking forward to staying up on Sunday and sleeping in on Monday lol You know the girls will do their best to derail the sleeping in part lol Anyhoo, today’s outfit features how to style a print shirt dress. The shirt dress is actually made from “Ankara,” NO, not the city lol, it’s a popular fabric from my native Nigeria as well as other African countries. Yeah, prior to the major fashion houses and designers discovering “tribal prints,” folks back in Africa have been rocking tribal prints such as ankara, for ages:)
Thanks to that “little thing” called the Internet, you can rock Ankara prints without leaving the country! Scroll for a link to a list of sites where you can buy the fabric if you want to get it made into an outfit OR sites where you can buy lovely african print styles. But first:
How to Style a Print Shirt Dress:
Came with a Belt? Yeah, Lose It
- Substitute the belt that came with it!
- Be creative! Pick a color, any color from the dress. Then use a belt of that color
- Other option is to use a neutral belt or rock a metal belt
Go Bold with Bright Shoes
- Again, pick a color that’s on the dress and rock out some cute shoes in that hue
Matchy-Matchy is NOT a Requirement
- You can match your shoes, belt and bag if you’d like but more fun to mix it up!
- With this post, I rocked a blue belt with yellow shoes
- The key is to make sure the colors complement not compete
Let me know what you think! Too much going on for you or do you think you’d try out this look?? See below for more pics, outfit details & where to get ankara/african print styles + fabric.
Photos by Oscarmerridaphotography.com
More on Ankara:
Where to Buy Ankara Outfits/Style Inspo:
- 6 Places to Buy Chic African Clothing Online via Blackgirllonghair.com
- More Etsy
- House of Seraph blog
Where to Buy Ankara Fabric:
Thanks as always for reading! Don’t be a stranger! Have a fabulous (LONG) weekend!
Outfit Details: Dress: gift from a pal (Thank you @Seyi Oyagbile! xoxo); similar: Etsy.com; more Etsy.com; Shoptiques.com| Yellow Shoes: DSW.com; similar: LordandTaylor.com (use code MEMORIAL for 20% off); Amazon.com ; 6pm.com | Belt: old via Shoptiques.com; similar: Etsy.com; Modcloth.com